ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE AND SUSTAINABILITY

09/08/13


It was a lovely summer afternoon when I met some very nice people involved in  the sustainability field.



I was still getting to know everyone when a young boy, with hopes for a future prominent acting career, asked me to define precisely the Alexander Technique.

I laughed, and sincerely told him that it might be challenging to give a brief and precise definition. 

Since he was interested in theater, I began saying that when acting, the actor must embody the character. If he just imitates it physically, he will not convince the audience. So what does the actor do? He might have to think, feel, breath and also physically act as that persona requires. 

The actors might have a notion of what ‘unity of self’ is. Which is the idea that being a human is to be an organism that feels, thinks, moves, acts and reacts.

I tried to explain to him that The Alexander Technique helps you develop the ability to react more consciously.

The handsome boy looked at me quizzically and reminded of many faces I had seen before, after attempting to explain the Alexander Technique.

Suddenly, my 2 year old son entered the room and magically pulled our attention to him.  Before long, we were sitting outdoors at the dinner table. It was there that I had the opportunity  to clarify more about the AT.

This time a friendly and interested adult asked me: “What is the Alexander Technique, anyway?” Before answering him, I stopped and I thought to myself: ‘I have time. I remembered that I wanted my breath to be free, neck to be free,  my head goes forward and up,  my back to lengthen and widen.’ Feeling pleased, I realized right here, at that moment, was a perfect example of applying the AT in real life. 

After using the AT, I told him that it has been a good practice for me to try to explain the AT from different perspectives each time a new person asks me about it.

Then, I told him that it is common for people to work at a computer for many hours a day. They often put all their attention on emails and decisions to be made, and not until the end of the day do they notice tension or pain in the neck, back, or arms.

During Alexander Technique lessons the student learns to maintain attention and awareness of himself while he works and, through that attention, to stop what is causing many strains to the body.

I thought I did a good job explaining this time, and he seemed satisfied. However I felt very sad when he lifted his arm and showed me his wrist brace. I knew then he must spend long hours at a computer, and was experiencing injuries to his body from this, just as I had explained.

I wish I have told him that the wrist brace seems like the solution that F.M Alexander’s doctor gave for his hoarseness. Which was: stop talking for a while and your voice will be back. Of course he lost his voice again right after using it again. If you immobilize your hand/wrist, it will get better. However, as soon as you start using it again, the problem will most likely appear again. Luckily, Alexander discovered that “changing his use” was the key, and I felt that could be a solution for this man as well.

Besides answering the questions about AT, they also inspired me think more about sustainability.

For me the Alexander Technique is integrated with all the proposals of a sustainable life. 

This is so, because AT is a practice that develops:

  • the ability to sustain yourself in a balanced readiness;
  • the capacity to endure against the gravity with poise;
  • the potential for long-term maintenance of well-being.

The more you practice AT, the less you are a slave to your immediate impulses. Becoming more conscious, deciding what is best for yourself and choosing to change the course of habits, is a long-term process work, that I would call Human Sustainability.


Deborah Bayardino George
Alexander Technique Teacher
AmSAT Certified
503.753.6436
"You translate everything, whether physical, mental or spiritual into muscular tension." 
F.M. Alexander